Today in the Secret Garden we retold the story of Jonah and the Whale, as part of our new unit of work in RE, which explores the idea of 'mission' in the Christian church.
First, the children had to find lots of different props which I had sneakily hidden around the garden. In fact, I hid the whale so well that we couldn't find him, and he's still out there, on the coldest night of the year. Sorry whale!
Once the children had found the props, we told the story of Jonah and the Whale, using the props and each other to act it out!
It's rather hard to explain what's going on in the photos, but I'm sure the children can. To give you some tips, Izzy is a storm, Paige is God, Chimwemwe is a whale, Jessica is a worm.....I'll let you discover the rest!
Next week, we will be exploring the idea of courage in our literacy lessons, inspired by the story The Lion and the Unicorn. If you have time at home, please could you talk about courage - what is courage? Who do you know who is courageous? What makes them courageous? Does courage come in different forms? Have you ever been courageous? Do you know someone who has been courageous?
This will really help the children in their lessons as it's a big and complicated concept to tackle!
Thank you very much!
Last week I received an email with our first 'EXPERIMENT' homework task! Cole experimented with making paper aeroplanes, and here are his results:
Cole had 4 attempts at making a paper Aeroplane, of which can be found on the attached photo.
Plane 1 – didn’t fly at all, it just fell to the ground.
Plane 2 – didn’t fly very far at all. It twisted and turned then hit the ground.
Plane 3 - didn’t fly very far at all. Its flight pattern was similar to plane number 2.
Plane 4 – flew very far and maintained a straight flight path.
The reason why plane 4 flew the furthest is that that it was more aerodynamic.
Fantastic work Cole! I hope this inspires you to have a go at making your own paper aeroplanes!
On Thursday of this week we worked extremely hard, all day, on this term's DT project, which was to make a wooden photo frame. The children developed many skills over the day including measuring, sawing, gluing with hot glue, painting and varnishing. The children coloured a pattern to display on the inside of their frame, again measuring really carefully to ensure it fitted inside perfectly. The children showed great resilience over the day and worked hard to problem solve. They should be really proud of their finished products - we certainly are!
A few frames need completing but they will be coming home as soon as they are ready!
We really enjoyed our milk and cookies at break time. Mrs Rogers ended up spending £4 buying them, and we took £14 in our pot, so the total profit was £10 which is more than we had expected! We also raised lots of money bringing in our £1 to wear our own clothes, so in 4R we have certainly made a great contribution to Children In Need. Well done everyone!
This week, we started our work on multiplication and division. Our first lesson was super fun and hands on! We used lots of different equipment to build multiplication sentences. The children worked in teams of four, and I was really impressed by how well they listened to each other explain their mathematical thinking. The children really thought carefully about their work and kept trying different ways to show the multiplication sentence until they were sure it was correct. This is something that the children could continue at home, using straws, cups and counters (or anything really...toy cars or animals, sweets, beads etc) For 5 x 2, we would say "5 bundles of 2 straws", "5 piles of 2 cups", "5 rows of 2 counters".